- Based at our Burwood Campus
- Full-time (36.75 hours per week) and Continuing
- Level B $100,8378 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
The role will be responsible to undertake research, teach and engage with industry and publish in the area of computer science, particularly focusing on Quantum Technologies for quantum information processing, quantum machine learning, software development, quantum optimization and or quantum security. The role will promote the School and maintain links and partnerships with relevant academic, industry and professional communities.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Maintaining deep discipline knowledge which is applied to inform unit design
- Leading teaching teams to develop effective unit curricula and learning resources (including through unit leadership roles)
- Being innovative in curriculum design at the unit level
- Providing learning experiences that actively engage students in their learning
- Delivering learner-centric, research and industry-informed active learning teaching practices across different levels / modes of delivery
- Leading unit teaching teams and works collaboratively with other unit teaching teams in the course
- Contributing to reviewing of units and courses and implement refinements and updates
- Provide clear assessment rubrics and timely feedback to learners to demonstrate learning outcomes
- Initiating, designing, conducting and leading productive, high-quality research, scholarship and creative activities generating high impact outputs
- Building national reputation, based on growing, focused body of work recognised for quality, excellence and impact
- Initiating, designing, conducting and potentially leading intra- and inter-disciplinary research collaborations, to enable major breakthroughs in knowledge and understanding and solutions to complex problems
- Initiating, designing, conducting and potentially lead in development of industry partnerships and collaboration to enable major breakthroughs, innovative solutions for future translation into real world impact
- Building track record of timely delivery of outcomes for industry partners
To be successful, you’ll have:
- A PhD in a relevant discipline and/or other relevant qualifications and experience
- Excellent record of scholarly learning and teaching in undergraduate and/or postgraduate programs, including innovative curriculum design
- Reputation in research and scholarship through publications and/or success in obtaining external research funding
- Ability to make a contribution to community engagement for research and teaching
- Capacity to contribute to leadership of teaching, research and/or administration
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues
Please submit your resume, a short cover letter and responses to the Selection Criteria by 3 June 2022
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact John Yearwood, Head of School via [email protected]
Offers of employment from Deakin University are conditional upon the applicant being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt and providing satisfactory evidence of the same. You can view a copy of the University’s COVID-19 Vaccination Procedure.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.