(Reuters) – Twitter Inc on Tuesday said it had suspended a number of accounts that claimed to be owned by Black supporters of President Donald Trump and his re-election campaign, saying the accounts broke its rules on spam and platform manipulation.
“Our teams are working diligently to investigate this activity and will take action in line with the Twitter Rules if Tweets are found to be in violation,” a spokeswoman for the social media company said.
A review by Reuters of some of the suspended accounts showed they often used images of real people that did not match their names and posted identical language in their messages, including the phrase: “YES IM BLACK AND IM VOTING FOR TRUMP!!!”
The accounts sometimes claimed to be owned by military veterans or members of law enforcement.
Darren Linvill, a social media disinformation researcher at Clemson University who said he had been tracking the
US President Trump has become subject to another fact-check warning on social media after claiming immunity to COVID-19.
In a tweet posted on Sunday, the US president claimed that physicians at the White House have given him a clean bill of health, and as a result, he is now “immune” to further infection by the novel coronavirus.
Trump also claimed he is no longer contagious.
See also: Twitter places public interest notice on President Trump’s tweet
“A total and complete sign off from White House Doctors yesterday,” the tweet reads. “That means I can’t get it (immune), and can’t give it. Very nice to know!!!”
After the message was published, Twitter slapped a warning label on the tweet. The microblogging platform says the tweet “violated the Twitter Rules about spreading misleading and potentially harmful information related to COVID-19.”
There are currently no concrete indicators that immunity from COVID-19 is
Facebook removed a post from President Donald Trump on Tuesday that falsely claimed COVID-19 was less deadly than the flu, CNN first reported.
In the post, Trump said COVID-19 was “far less lethal” than the flu in “most populations.” In fact, the US coronavirus death toll in the first nine months of 2020 would already make it the second-deadliest US flu season on record by far.
The post violated Facebook’s rules on COVID-19 misinformation, which bans false claims about the severity of the virus.
Trump posted the same message to Twitter, which did not remove the post but instead added a public-interest notice saying the tweet broke its rules on COVID-19 misinformation.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Facebook removed a post from President Donald Trump on Tuesday that falsely claimed COVID-19 was less deadly than the flu.
Facebook determined that Trump’s post violated its COVID-19 misinformation policies, which