Astronauts make round trip to space station from U.S. soil
NASA astronaut Douglas Hurley (C) waves to onlookers as he boards a plane at Naval Air Station Pensacola to return him and NASA astronaut Robert Behnken home to Houston a few hours after the duo landed in their SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour spacecraft off the coast of Pensacola, Fla,, on August 2, 2020. Photo by Bill Ingalls/NASA | License Photo
Hurley is helped out of the SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour spacecraft onboard the SpaceX GO Navigator recovery ship after he and NASA astronaut Robert Behnken landed in the Gulf of Mexico. Photo by Bill Ingalls/UPI
NASA astronaut Robert Behnken smiles before being helped out of the SpaceX Crew Dragon Endeavour spacecraft. Photo by Bill Ingalls/NASA
Behnken (L), and Hurley are seen inside the Crew Dragon onboard the SpaceX GO Navigator recovery ship shortly after landing in the Gulf of Mexico.
NASA has delayed the launch of the first operational crewed flight of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon capsule to the International Space Station (ISS).
Originally scheduled for October 31, the mission is now targeted for “no sooner than early-to-mid November” to give launch provider SpaceX more time to deal with an issue with Falcon 9 first-stage engine gas generators that came to light during a recent non-NASA launch attempt.
There’s much focus on the Crew-1 mission as it will be the first operational crewed flight using SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft following its first successful human test flight to and from the ISS with NASA astronauts Doug Hurley and Bob Behnken over the summer. The Demo-1 mission was notable not only for being the first crewed flight for the SpaceX capsule, but also because it marked the first astronaut launch from U.S. soil since the end of the space shuttle program in 2011,
WASHINGTON — NASA is delaying the launch of the first operational SpaceX commercial crew mission to the first half of November to provide more time to review a problem during a recent Falcon 9 launch attempt.
NASA announced Oct. 10 the Crew-1 mission, which was scheduled to launch on a Falcon 9 in the early morning hours of Oct. 31 from the Kennedy Space Center, will now launch no earlier than early to mid-November.
The delay, the agency said, will provide more time for SpaceX “to complete hardware testing and data reviews as the company evaluates off-nominal behavior of Falcon 9 first stage engine gas generators observed during a recent non-NASA mission launch attempt.” NASA did not identify the specific launch attempt in question, but an Oct. 2 launch of a Falcon 9 carrying a GPS 3 satellite was scrubbed just two seconds before liftoff because of SpaceX Chief Executive
Shrugging off a Falcon 9 launch abort last week and a scrub Monday, SpaceX fired 60 more Starlink internet satellites into orbit Tuesday, the thirteenth batch in a fast-growing global network of broadband relay stations. The rocket’s first stage, making its third flight, flew itself to an on-target landing on an offshore drone ship after lifting the upper stage out of the lower atmosphere, chalking up the company’s 61st successful booster recovery.
Michael Seeley, co-founder of We Report Space, posted a stunning photo of the rocket launch silhouetted by the sun.
The launch ended a frustrating stretch of delays dating back to mid September that included back-to-back Falcon 9 launch aborts last Thursday and Friday that grounded the Starlinks and a Space Force
(Reuters) – SpaceX Chief Executive Elon Musk said he will visit his space company’s Florida rocket facilities this week to investigate the cause of recent launch aborts and delays that have held up a busy mission schedule for the company’s workhorse Falcon 9 rocket.
The space company last week halted two back-to-back Falcon 9 missions – one packed with 60 SpaceX Starlink satellites and the other carrying a GPS satellite for the U.S. Air Force – over technical issues detected less than 30 seconds before planned liftoff from a launchpad in Florida.
SpaceX postponed the Starlink launch to Monday morning, but bad weather forced another delay.
“We’re doing a broad review of launch site, propulsion, structures, avionics, range & regulatory constraints this weekend,” Musk tweeted early Saturday after SpaceX called off the launch for the GPS satellite two seconds before liftoff. “I will also be at the Cape next week
Google pointed out that its payment system only applies to three percent of developers, and 97 percent of those already use it. It said that its billing system “provides a simple, safe way for consumers to transact,” and includes reminders about free trials, clear price disclosures and information about cancellations and refunds.
It added that it’s willing to speak with developers to resolve any concerns. “We are setting up listening sessions with leading Indian startups to understand their concerns more deeply,” the company wrote. “And we’re also extending the time for developers in India to integrate with the Play billing system, to ensure they have enough time to implement the UPI for subscription payment option that will be made available on Google Play.”
Still, the policy delay is another front in a rebellion that’s happening against Google and Apple’s app store policies and commissions. Over the past few weeks,
Google is postponing the enforcement of its new Play Store billing policy in India to April 2022, days after more than 150 startups in the world’s second largest internet market forged an informal coalition to express concerns over the 30% charge the Android-maker plans to mandate on its store and started to explore an alternative marketplace for their apps.
The company, which is going live globally with the new Play Store rule in September 2021, is deferring the enforcement of the policy only in India, it said. It is also listening to developers and willing to engage to allay their concerns, it said.
Last week, Google said it would no longer allow any apps to circumvent its payment system within the Play Store. The move, pitched by Google as a “clarification” of its existing policy, would allow the company to ensure it gets as high as a 30% cut on
INDIANAPOLIS — The IndyCar Series will continue running the same engines each of the next two seasons. It also will be working with the same two engine manufacturers, Chevrolet and Honda, into the foreseeable future.
IndyCar President Jay Frye announced Saturday the three parties agreed to delay the introduction of a new engine until 2023 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. They also reached a multiyear contract extension, which fits neatly into the series’ five-year plan that runs through 2028.
“It’s been a huge challenge,” Frye said, referring to keeping this season on track. “So it’s great that there’s some clarity now — clarity with the schedule, clarity with this deal.”
The new 2.4-liter, twin-turbocharged V6 engine with hybrid technology was expected to be ready next season.
A newly designed powertrain system that gives drivers the ability to start their own cars, rather than needing the traditional handheld starters, also was
After many weeks of delays due to faulty equipment and bad weather, the United Launch Alliance is set to launch its most powerful rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida, lofting a classified spy satellite for the National Reconnaissance Office. The mission is finally ready to fly a full month after the rocket’s first launch attempt, which was aborted just three seconds before liftoff.
The rocket going up on ULA’s mission is the Delta IV Heavy, a giant vehicle that consists of three rocket cores strapped together to provide extra thrust. It’s one of the most powerful rockets in the world, though it falls short of the power packed into SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy. ULA doesn’t fly the Delta IV Heavy very often, as it’s an expensive vehicle to make, but the company uses the rocket for large, heavy satellites headed to super-high orbits.