A quarter of employees at the French video game giant Ubisoft have been victims of professional misconduct at work or were witnesses to it, according to a survey carried out by the group following allegations of sexual misconduct.
The creator of hit games including Assassin’s Creed and Far Cry launched a probe and announced the departure of its chief creative officer and other senior executives in July after claims about the group’s toxic work culture.
Chief executive and co-founder Yves Guillemot, who admitted earlier this year that the group had “fallen short”, said that 2,000 employees had participated in “listening sessions” and nearly 14,000 had responded to an anonymous survey.
The results showed that “roughly 25 percent have experienced or witnessed some form of workplace misconduct in the past two years, and that one in five do not feel fully respected or safe in the work environment”, said a statement
Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot has issued a lengthy statement to employees regarding the allegations of a toxic workplace and the next steps the company is taking to address the issues.
In a letter, which Ubisoft shared with GameSpot, Guillemot references an independent survey that garnered nearly 14,000 replies from staff, and said that an audit consisted of 100 interviews and 40 focus groups. The findings suggested that roughly 25% of employees experienced or witnessed some form of workplace misconduct over the last two years. Minority groups were disproportionately affected; women experienced harassment 30% more than men, and non-binary employees experienced it 43% more than men. Finally, only 66% of respondents who reported an incident said they felt they received support from management.
As a result of the audit, the company has concluded it needs to focus on four key areas of improvement going forward:
NEW YORK (AP) — Google’s parent company has reached a $310 million settlement in a shareholder lawsuit over its treatment of allegations of executives’ sexual misconduct.
Alphabet Inc. said Friday that it will prohibit severance packages for anyone fired for misconduct or is the subject of a sexual misconduct investigation. A special team will investigate any allegations against executives and report to the board’s audit committee.
Thousands of Google employees walked out of work in protest in 2018 after The New York Times revealed Android creator Andy Rubin received $90 million in severance even though several employees had filed misconduct allegations against him. Shareholder lawsuits followed, and in 2019 Google launched a board investigation over how it handles sexual misconduct allegations.
In January, David Drummond, the Alphabet’s legal chief, left without an exit package, following accusations of inappropriate relationships with employees. The company didn’t give a reason for his departure,